Friday the 16th of April

...to the ends of the earth

“We need a respectful, mutual listening, free of ideology and predetermined agendas.” Pope Francis, Let us Dream, December 2020

Philippine bishop backs case against Duterte in international court

The case filed against Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte before the International Criminal Court in The Hague is a “very good step” toward stopping drug-related killings, a Catholic bishop said.

“It is our hope that this move will inject fear into the hearts and minds of the accused officials so that they will eventually and sincerely put a stop to these merciless killings,” said Bishop Arturo Bastes of Sorsogon.

Ucanews.com reported that the bishop said the International Criminal Court should “take serious action against the continuous and seemingly condoned violation of human rights in the Philippines.”

“Filing a complaint at the ICC is a good move for the whole world to know that crimes against humanity, seemingly sanctioned by the government, are being committed in this Christian country,” said Bishop Bastes.

Ucanews.com reported that a complaint of “mass murder” was filed against Duterte and 11 other Philippine officials for alleged crimes against humanity brought about by the drug-related killings.

Human Rights Watch reported in March that more than 7,000 people had been killed in either police anti-drug operations or in unexplained killings since Duterte took office on 30th June. In early March, Duterte’s allies in the Philippine House helped pass a measure reinstating the death penalty, with the primary goal of executing drug offenders.

Picture: Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte announces the disbandment of police operations against illegal drugs in Manila on 30th January. The case filed against Duterte before the International Criminal Court in The Hague is a “very good step” toward stopping drug-related killings, a Catholic bishop said. (CNS photo/Ezra Acayan, Reuters).