Even though Pope Francis was planning a ‘normal’ workday for his birthday, well-wishers can help brighten it up with special tweets and emails.
Turning 80 on 17th December, Pope Francis was going to start the day with Mass together with cardinals living in Rome, according to the Vatican press office. The Vatican made the announcement today, on 13th December – the anniversary of the pope’s ordination to the priesthood in 1969.
‘The rest of the day will be ‘normal’, loaded with appointments,’ it said.
People can tweet messages using the hashtag #Pontifex80 or send an email according to their preferred language, including Latin.
– PopeFrancis80@vatican.va (English)
– PapaFrancisco80@vatican.va (Spanish/Portuguese)
– PapeFrancois80@vatican.va (French)
– PapiezFranciszek80@vatican.va (Polish)
– PapstFranziskus80@vatican.va (German)
– PapaFrancesco80@vatican.va (Italian)
– Papafranciscus80@vatican.va (Latin)
Picture: Pope Francis blows out the candle on a birthday cake presented by a young member of the Italian branch of Catholic Action during an audience with the group at the Vatican on 17th December 2015, in celebration of his 79th birthday. The pope celebrates his 80th birthday this year. (CNS photo/L’Osservatore Romano, handout).